Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Week & 1/2 ago

A week and 1/2 ago, Wednesday, November 11th marked my two month stay in LondonTown. I celebrated in a unique way. Let me unfold it for you.

The Lord has provided for me financially for the past few months and He's done it in absolutely astonishing ways. Someone would email me or get in contact with me, telling me that the Lord told them to send me some cash. This happened every time my funds grew low. And without me ever mentioning it to anyone. I would simply pray for my needs to be met.

Fast-Forward.

Wednesday morning I woke up with my reservations at the hostel expiring and £15 to my name. I prayed like crazy. Yeah you know the kind, the selfish prayer. I was hoping and pleading for God to provide me money so that I could stay in my comfortable, well acquainted room that I shared with 7 other dudes. I prayed a selfish and comfortable prayer even though the Lord had already spoken that I'd be leaving the hostel that morning. (The Lord spoke clearly two days before that I was at that hostel for the sole purpose of meeting Blake, who you'll learn more about tomorrow). I was fleshing out like crazy (Translation: sinning).

I had a unique feeling. I was confident the Lord would provide, but I wanted Him to provide in a certain way. A way that would keep me where I was. Well, I packed my things into my backpack and headed up to a cafe to read/pray/see what the Lord had in store for the day. The more the day went by, the more I felt peaceful and calm about being homeless. I've gotten to know the homeless people in the area, so I had the lowdown on where I could sleep and stay dry. But, the Holy Spirit gave me a peace that went past the thoughts of being homeless. The day past quickly and by 7pm I walked to our Prayer Meeting that we have here at Reality London (http://www.realitylondon.co.uk/blog/) on Wednesday nights. (yes, that was an unashamed plug...) Everyone looked at me all crazy like because I had all my stuff with me, including a pillowcase over my shoulder... I told them my situation and Christian, a Londoner who attends Reality, offered me to stay with him for as long as I needed. As long as I didn't mind living about 20 minutes outside the center of London. Of course, I went home with Christian that night.

I traveled back to his flat where I have been sleeping in a room by myself, with my own bathroom, and relaxing. Thanks to Christians generosity, I have been able to eat for free and eat well. I've had duck, ribs, chicken, and full out breakfasts... food I wasn't able to afford before. I've been able to recharge and relax for a week -- where I feel rested and ready to get back on the streets.

My point? To express how God moves and works. I fought leaving my comfortable and familiar hostel, not because I loved it (well I did in a weird way), but because I knew it; familiar. I was fearful of what was next. Fearful that what was next could be the streets, homeless, and cold. But God had better in store for me. Actually, I haven't stayed in a bed or room or apartment or ate food this nice in about 4 months. But to get to it, the Lord had to remove me from what I knew and what felt comfortable to me. He was leading me to the best but I was settling for comfortable and familiarity. To put it bluntly, I didn't trust Him.

My question is, where is God leading you, but you're dragging your feet in refusal? Some advice -- just go. Take the leap. Jesus will provide for you. His provision might not be the way you want or the way you think it should be done, but it's always the best way. Do what we're called to do, and follow Jesus. What will happen if you don't? I don't know, but I do you know you'll be robbing God of Glory He deserves, robbing someone else a chance to show generosity, and robbing yourself the chance to express Jesus' love to others (which leads back to robbing Him of Glory...).

He's faithful and He'll lead you. It's how He rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment