Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Support

"And He said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.'" Luke 9:23

For me, taking up my cross and following Jesus has led me to London, England; a journey unlike any other. It's taken faith in things unseen with trust in the God who sent me, and who came before me. Both faith and trust coming from Jesus Himself. Coming over to London with a one-way ticket and a bag wasn't an easy venture. Coming to a land that rejects the Gospel of Jesus Christ -- while my sole purpose of being here is to speak His truth with grace & love -- isn't easy either. But, (and that's big but) the Lord has shown me how sweet it is to walk with Him when I depend upon Him for everything. I have never experienced the Lord like I have since being in London. He has revealed and unfolded Himself more and more everyday, and I love it.

But honestly, I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I can't save a city or persuade them to become followers of Christ. Only the Lord can and does that. What do I do then? I beg the Lord to act, to soften the hearts of the city, to bring repentance and revival to her streets, and to fill the same streets with people worshiping the One True God again. I don't have a routine. I just go and move as the Holy Spirit leads on a daily basis. I literally don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone when I'm coming back to the states. All I do is go where the Lord leads and daily take up the cross He's strengthening me to carry.

At the moment, and the foreseeable future, I am living in a hostel on the edge of Soho. Why Soho? Basic answer: the Lord told me to live here. It's an area in the center of London that has every sinful desire one could dream of. A dark place where the people are far from the Lord, but He's placed hope inside my heart that He's going to redeem here. At the moment, every Sunday afternoon I go and speak the Truth of the Gospel at Speaker's Corner; another place the Lord has called me to act. The Lord has led me to Reality London where I help in anyway I can. My weeks fill up though I can't tell you how I'm going to spend them before hand. What I do isn't a job. Its life. By the grace of God I get to talk to people about the Lord and learn more about Him; a focus on Heaven, and not on earth.

Where is this going? Right here: the great commission, where Jesus instructs His followers to go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that He has commanded us. Simply, Jesus tells us all to make disciples through Him. But there are those who He commands to "go" and those people He instructs to send. Jesus has clearly called me to go -- to come to London and make disciples through His powerful name.

Will you prayerfully ask the Lord if you are to send me?

What does sending me look like (Send-a-Seth): Prayer is absolutely huge -- Not just for me, but for the city, for Reality London, and for protection. Join the prayer email that I send out, so that you can lift up London in detail. Encouragement -- Send a brother some encouragement. I'm human and the enemy is real, so encouragement is cool. Real talk, I miss you guys. Accountability -- Keep me accountable to what the Lord has called me to do here. (Preaching & teaching the Gospel, loving the homeless, helping Reality London, being a light in Soho) Financially -- I'm an American in England who doesn't have an income, but needs to eat and have shelter (preferably). Honestly, I give more money away buying food for the homeless and addicts, then I myself consume. Its an easy way to express the love Christ and I get to know them over food or coffee. And, I honestly have the weight of college loans needing to be paid, but the Lord knew this before He sent me to London. I have no doubt that He's faithful. Workers -- Whether its for a week or 8 months, the harvest in London is plentiful but the workers are few (Matt. 9:35-38). I would love to have some folks come alongside me to serve the Lord & the people of London. In fact, I'd love for you to pray and ask God if He wants you to come over and serve here. If honest, this is the area of most need. For people who love Jesus Christ and love telling others about Him, to come to London and do just that.

Please, don't feel like you have to support me in any way. Don't do it out of obligation or guilt, because that motivation is all wrong. Please pray and ask the Lord if He would like you to support me, to support what He's doing in London. And then ask Him in what way to serve. Pray and then take whatever action He leads you to take.

"Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need." Acts 4:32-34

One heart and one soul -- that's the Body of Christ.

seth.guthrie@gmail.com


1 comment: