Friday, January 1, 2010

2010


I can't believe it's January. Even more, I can't believe we're in the 2nd decade of this the 2nd millennia. That fact alone makes my brain hurt, but lets be real, it doesn't take much to make my brain hurt. I digress.

Like most people, I've made a New Year resolution, but it's a bit different. What do you expect; I'm weird. It starts with today. Today I started reading the Word through a guideline that Elevation Church is starting next weekend. It's geared to read through the New Testament in 30 days -- New Thru 30. They start next week, but I felt God leading to start today. So, I did. And the Holy Spirit provided me with a "New Year resolution."

"Therefore, do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentile (the non-Jewish; those far from God during this time) seek after all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:32-34

My one and only resolution this year is to "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness." To seek God with everything I am, for the sole purpose of knowing Him more. Seek Jesus first and He'll take care of me; no matter what. It may look different then I want or expect, but He's got my back. The Lord's been teaching me to seek Him, His Kingdom, His heart, and His will over my own; seek and cling to Jesus Christ. Far too often I seek Him for His blessings and mentally bypass the Creator. That's not acceptable. That simply is not cool (by His and my standards).

The passage above tells us plainly to seek first God and His Kingdom -- HIM -- above all. Above where nourishment is going to come from. Over what I'm going to where (which is quite limited anyway). Seek Him above what others think of me. Seeking to please only God Almighty whom I serve - and to actually walk that out, instead of talking it. This year I want to make more of an effort to place Jesus at the center of my life and my heart, and Him as the filter. If its not of Him or does not bring Glory to Him, then I don't want it.

This year it's time to put up or shut up.

This year the Lord is pursuing me to be more aggressive in my relationship with Him.

This year it's time to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Seth! I'm going to be starting the 'new thru 30' this week too! Hope all is well and God blesses you over there in lovely London :)

    Deni

    ReplyDelete